Monday, April 26, 2010

YW Student Newsletter



Contents

       1.  Something for Your Heart
       2.  Surf Report
       3.  Forgettable Fact
       4.  Potent Quotables
       5.  Uh, That's Funny?
=================================

1. SOMETHING FOR YOUR HEART

"A prudent man keeps his knowledge to himself, but the heart of fools blurts out folly." (Proverbs 12:23)

I'll admit; I've done it. Maybe you have, too. Propelled by insecurity -- afraid the smart people around me wouldn't know I was smart, too -- I've brought up topics in conversation just so I could show off how much I knew about them.

I've even spewed every last fact in my head about things I didn't really know that much about -- sometimes making up details and delivering them with fake confidence. I was foolish.

Sometimes fools, looking to feel significant or just unable to stop the words from spilling out, even reveal information that could expose them or others to genuine danger. (Think passwords, troop movements, a good friend's secrets.)

A wise person asks: "Who am I helping besides myself by what I'm about to say?" If the answer is, "Nobody," the wise person leaves that bit of knowledge left unsaid. If I only speak to serve myself, I'll just make it obvious more quickly what a fool I really am.

Do: Be honest with yourself: How often do you blurt knowledge just to build yourself up in the eyes of others? What do you think when you realize other people are doing that with you?

Pray: Ask God to help you to be prudent and not share knowledge foolishly.

Do: Listen this week for foolish talkers blurting out folly and try to catch some wise friends not sharing all they know.
A Daily Devotional from PlanetWisdom.com, copyright 2010 Youth Specialties. Used by permission.

2. SURF REPORT
I Am My School [Youth Specialties blog]

Movie review of Oceans [Christianity Today]

3. FORGETTABLE FACT
Until the year 1920, Canada was planning on invading the United States.

4. POTENT QUOTABLES
And when it rains on your parade, look up rather than down. Without the rain, there would be no rainbow.
~ G.K. Chesterton

For the rain it raineth every day.
~ William Shakespeare

5. UH, THAT'S FUNNY?

What do you get if you cross a chicken with a cement mixer?
A brick layer!

No comments: