Sunday, December 6, 2009

YS Newsletter::on song



Contents
1. Something for Your Heart
2. Surf Report
3. Forgettable Fact
4. Potent Quotables
5. Uh, That's Funny?
=================================

1. SOMETHING FOR YOUR HEART

Thanks For What: Just Sing Already!
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God." (Colossians 3:16)

Do you like to sing? I don't always dig it. For one thing, I'm not very good. I don't really enjoy the sound of my own warbling. I'd much rather listen to you (unless you're just as awful as me).

Also, after mumbling my way through a bunch of songs in every worship service since they let me out of the nursery, I suddenly wondered one day, "Why in the world do we do this? What a weird thing, now that I think about it. Couldn't we do something else for 20 minutes?" Then I read this verse.

Oh.

And in the process of trying to get over myself (and trying to sing right out loud without caring what you think), I discovered that saying thanks in a song really helped me to express to God how thankful I felt in a way that words by themselves can't quite accomplish. Apparently, that's exactly what God wants me to do.

Think: Do you like singing, in general? Do you like singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs together with other Christians? Does singing like that help you to feel more grateful to God?

Pray: Ask God to help you to sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your heart to Him?

Do: Remember this verse the next time you have a chance to participate in singing with a group of fellow Christians.

A Daily Devotional from PlanetWisdom.com, copyright 2009 Youth Specialties/Zondervan. Used by permission.


2. SURF REPORT

Movie Review: Surrogates


Music Review of Fireflies from Owl City


3. FORGETTABLE FACT
Got gas? 40% of all indigestion remedies sold in the world are bought by Americans.


4. POTENT QUOTABLES
Give me a stock clerk with a goal and I'll give you a man who will make history. Give me a man with no goals and I'll give you a stock clerk.
-- J. C. Penney

God gives us dreams a size too big so that we can grow in them.
-- Anonymous

5. UH, THAT'S FUNNY?
Q: How do you get a kleenex to dance?
A: Put a little boogey in it!

No comments: